What's inside a laptop?
Today I took apart a laptop!
Well I had an old broken one lying around and it seemed like a fun activity. I decided to make a game of it and see how many pieces I could identify.
Here's the pic of the exploded laptop.
And here's a labeled version!
- LCD Monitor
- Cooling System
- Hard Drive (250GB!)
- Slot for another drive
- Smart Card Reader
- RAM (3GB!!)
- Touch pad and buttons below it.
- CD drive
- Several ports and associated circuitry including:
- Phone jack
- 2 USB ports (2.0)
- Headphone and Microphone jacks
- A small port I don't recognize
- A DIP switch for something (I don't remember what it did)
- Motherboard. Notice the main CPU in the middle with some other important looking chips that I'm not sure about. Also lots of connections that all of the other components used to be plugged into.
- A bunch more ports including:
- 2 more USB ports (2.0)
- Display port
- Power in
- WiFi chip
I wasn't sure about a few pieces that I've left unlabeled. I think one of the smaller components near the display is a microphone, but I'm not sure which one.
Oh well! It was a different Saturday afternoon for sure, and I got some cool pictures out of it.
I hope this was interesting for anyone who hasn't peeked inside a computer before!